Computer Help Forum

Go Back   vBulletin and Computer Help Forum > Computer Support > Computer Software

Computer Software Tips, reviews, and help with popular computer software packages.

Old 02-07-2013   #1
c_frank

Send a message via Yahoo to c_frank
windows 7 oem licensing question

Hi, im looking at building a new machine for a friend. He wants me to build the barebones kit and use his HD from the old machine in it. the pc that the hard drive would be coming from has an OEM version of windows 7 home premium 64 Bit installed on it. I know that by switching motherboards the OEM license will be voided. I need to know if I will be able to re-activate the copy of windows with a new key once the drive is installed in the new pc? If so, do i need to have a new key available right away or will i have a certain amount of time before a new key is required?

Thanks for any input
c_frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013   #2
Greg
Administrator

I have seen new installs work for 30 days or so. Not sure though to be honest. I don't have any experience with OEM to homebrew.
Old 02-07-2013   #3
c_frank

The old pc is a home brew with an oem license, don't think that helps but I figured that I would let you know
Old 02-07-2013   #4
Greg
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_frank View Post
The old pc is a home brew with an oem license, don't think that helps but I figured that I would let you know
I am under the impression it will move and verify. But if it don't, I don't know how to get a key other then buy a new windows. I have been out of retail for a while.
Old 02-07-2013   #5
c_frank

I don't have any problem with buying a new copy of windows, I am just wondering if i will be able to re-activate the existing copy of windows that is on the hard drive with a new key or if i will be forced to wipe the drive and do a fresh install with the new key and then transfer the drive contents back to it.
Old 02-07-2013   #6
Greg
Administrator

Quote:
I don't have any problem with buying a new copy of windows, I am just wondering if i will be able to re-activate the existing copy of windows that is on the hard drive with a new key or if i will be forced to wipe the drive and do a fresh install with the new key and then transfer the drive contents back to it.
I am pretty sure you'll be able to reuse the install.
Old 04-19-2013   #7
bobch

Quote:
Neither do I. It's not a problem, I think, to move Win installations to another hdd as well as re-activate Win after reinstalling.
bobch is offline   Reply With Quote