Computer Help Forum

Go Back   vBulletin and Computer Help Forum > Computer Support > Computer Systems and Hardware

Computer Systems and Hardware Exchange info, post reviews, and get help on computer system issues here.

Old 03-29-2012   #11
bigH2O
Acceptably Annoying

You're preaching to the choir here Zero. This machine has enough power to send 16 space shuttles to Mars.

I tried to tell him that all he needed was a mid range dual core with 4GB of ram and one 360GB drive for his C:, one 500GB for storage, and one 500GB for backup. Believe it or not, all this machine is going to be used for is to ride around in a mobile sign shop trailer to produce decals at fairs and events.

I told him he was crazy to throw this kind of money at a build for what he was using it for. He kind of got impatient with me and said, "Hey look, it's my money and I'll spend it how I want. I don't have a wife or girlfriend to tell me how to spend my money, and I certainly don't need you trying to tell me how to spend it". I said "Fine, drop ship me the parts and I'll build the box".

I talked to my rep at tiger direct and told him that this guy wanted the latest and greatest of everything. We spec'd it out, and then I called the client back and had him contact my rep to order the parts. They came in a few days later. I don't have a penny out of pocket on this build, unless you count my time. He's going to be sending me a check for the build, and I just hope the damn thing bounces so I can keep the box for myself
Old 03-29-2012   #12
bigH2O
Acceptably Annoying

Got the Gigabyte X79-UD5 in today. This monster is a thing of beauty. The layout is masterful. Eighteen USB ports on the board, 4 of them USB 3.0/2.0. Eight built into the back connector I/O area, and 10 motherboard headers to a front panel or back panel adapter. Built in 1000 wired network port, and includes a card for Wireless N... with two antennas on it. Twelve SATA channels, ten of them 6GB capable. Four RAM channels capable of 64GB total supporting speeds of up to 2133 Mhz. 3 way cross fire and sli support, RAID 0, 5 & 10, dual firewire, 7.1 channel audio, more and more and more, but I won't bore you any further.
Old 04-18-2012   #13
Zero Tolerance

5 years ago Id be jealous of that box. Now, I almost hate computers. I guess that is what happens when you turn your "hobby" into your "profession".

Ive since moved onto another hobby. RC airplanes and helicopters. Im having as much fun now in this new hobby as I ever did with computers. But, working with computers/servers/networks is what pays the bills so I can buy these over priced flying machines! LOL

Still, Id like to have a chance to build a box like that for someone that is paying the bill. I still have a little "geek" left in me! lol

no offence!

As I was walking up the stairs
I met a man who wasnt there
He wasnt there again today
I wish...I wish he'd go away!

ATV Forums ~ 250R ~ Banshee ~ Utility Class ~ Sport Quads
Free Internet Radio ~ Independent Music & Artists ~ Become an online radio Dj
Zero Tolerance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012   #14
bigH2O
Acceptably Annoying

Well this is the last build I'm doing for anybody but myself. The vendor and the customer got together and spec'd out the machine, and of course the first gigabyte mobo started beeping like mad. So I RMAd it and got another one. It started beeping like mad as well. I check the memory on the compatability list, and it's no where near compatable, so I call the vendor directly and give him a specific part number for RAM. Rep says "Well that's a downgrade from what was ordered." Duh, it's not a downgrade if the freaking motherboard will actually support it. Send me the freaking RAM the motherboard will support. It's 64GB of RAM. It's not like he's going to notice a speed difference between 1600 and 1333 RAM with that much in the box. Idiots. Still haven't got this thing finished. Haven't had the time to mess with it, and am frankly tired of messing with it.
Old 04-19-2012   #15
Zero Tolerance

I hear ya. Theres just not enough money to be made building custom PC's any more. However, if there is any to be made, it would be on a super high end system like this one.

Tiger Direct is great for prices...NewEgg even a tad better. Its just you have to be sure of exactly what you want, because their sales rep...well, lets just say I have forgotten more about computers than most of them could ever learn! lol

Old 04-19-2012   #16
bigH2O
Acceptably Annoying

Tiger Direct used to be my only go to vendor, because they always had a wide enough variety of everything that I could pick out all of my components from the one site, and the parts would be here the next day on standard ground shipping. Recently though, Tiger bought a retail chain that does business here in Georgia, and now they're having to charge me sales tax on everything I buy. An automatic seven percent increase in the price. Bummer. So I do my research at Tiger, and then buy from Newegg or Buy.com if they have what I want. If not, I just suck it up and pay the sales tax at Tiger.

I understand that sales rep issue. I wish I had never sent the client straight to the sales rep. Would have saved me a whole lot of time if I had just specd it out myself.
Old 04-20-2012   #17
Zero Tolerance

What retail chain is that? I wasnt aware?

Old 04-20-2012   #18
bigH2O
Acceptably Annoying

CompUSA. It was actually Systemax who owns Tigerdirect that bought CompUSA... bought 16 stores and the CompUSA name, but nonetheless, I'm stuck with paying sales tax on anything I buy from Tigerdirect now because both companies fall under the Systemax corporate umbrella.