Computer Help Forum

Go Back   vBulletin and Computer Help Forum > Website Support and Management > Website Administration

Website Administration Website management support for FTP access, SSH access, control panels, SEO, advertising programs and other help for web site administrators.

Old 10-22-2006   #21
Ohiosweetheart

Nawt
Ohiosweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #22
Big Dan

Send a message via AIM to Big Dan Send a message via MSN to Big Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dan
hehe, I've been on there for a while.

I bought a mybb related domain last night, I may build a portal type site. I'll keep guys in the loop.
Old 10-23-2006   #23
AnthonyCea

Red face

I'm going to get Chris to ban you and OSH before you form a gang and take over MyBB Danny!
AnthonyCea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #24
Big Dan

Send a message via AIM to Big Dan Send a message via MSN to Big Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dan
I personally have no plans to take over anything, I don't even know if I have the time to run another site. I have 4 sites sitting on the back burner as we speak.

Edit:

It's always good to have another resource of information. Most major packages have alternate forums ran by people other than the developers. Look at vB & phpBB for example. Cannot we all share?

Last edited by Big Dan; 10-23-2006 at 10:54 AM. Reason: added to post
Big Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #25
AnthonyCea

You're a good guy Danny, I hope you can help MyBB, I know the platform is going to boom, it is happening right now!
Old 10-23-2006   #26
Big Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCea View Post
You're a good guy Danny, I hope you can help MyBB, I know the platform is going to boom, it is happening right now!
Thank you . I was initially impressed with myBB I installed right about ver 1.1x for such a young package it's powerful. It also loads much faster than vB. I don't think I'll ever leave vB, it's the most powerful package out there and I've played around with just about every one freely available.

Getting in on the ground level so speak while its still young is something I look forward to. I'll learn it as the software gets more intelligent.

Last edited by Big Dan; 10-23-2006 at 11:51 AM. Reason: grammar
Big Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #27
Ohiosweetheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
Thank you . I was initially impressed with myBB I installed right about ver 1.1x for such a young package it's powerful. It also loads much faster than vB. I don't think I'll ever leave vB, it's the most powerful package out there and I've played around with just about every one freely available.

Getting in on the ground level so speak while its still young is something I look forward to. I'll learn it as the software gets more intelligent.
My sentiments exactly.
Ohiosweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006   #28
AnthonyCea

This will enable webmasters to put up millions of forums, it will hurt vB's growth for sure, but so will other forum packages that are free, there are plenty of them being developed too!

I think it will be good for people like Noppid though, because people are going to need help, just because it is free does not mean people will not have to pay professionals for help in getting it up and running the way they want it.
Old 10-23-2006   #29
Big Dan

I pretty much agree there will always be free vs non free software packages. Proprietary packages don't always foot the bill.

There's front page than there is NVU, PhotoShop than Gimp. MS Office then Open Office. For day to day stuff the free stuff is more than I need. NVU, Gimp, & OO work perfectly for me.

As for forums, I worked with phpBB & (now) vB alot, myBB a little. I'm all for FOSS solutions but sometimes they just don't foot the bill. I think if myBB stays on the course it has been it will eventually rival vB.
Old 10-23-2006   #30
AnthonyCea

vB is worth paying for if you have a real important site, I think the search engines respect it better than other forum software and I think the vB sites get indexed better for some very odd reason!

I do know that SMF early versions had terrible problems with session ID's and that was a disaster for those forum owners!

MyBB is great for a webmaster that wants to put up 50 forums or add a forum to existing sites just to gain interaction with customers, it is going to be huge!