Computer Help Forum

Go Back   vBulletin and Computer Help Forum > Website Support and Management > Website Administration

Website Administration Website management support for FTP access, SSH access, control panels, SEO, advertising programs and other help for web site administrators.

Old 01-25-2007   #41
AnthonyCea

That makes sense, the vB backup in ACP tells you at the end of the file that it is complete, as long as it is not large there should be no problems with it.
AnthonyCea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #42
julia

Ok, Antony just don't get mad at me.
I noticed when i was doing the back ups, that my today's file is smaller than for example from 2 days ago. I don't delete posts, i write them though, so that's strange to me.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #43
AnthonyCea

Could be something odd but just keep making new backups frequently!

Like I said, get a host that will make them for you automatically, this is a common service with many hosts today!
Old 02-01-2007   #44
julia

Are you backing up your FTP folders as well? If yes how frequently?
Old 02-02-2007   #45
julia

One more question when you save as, do you choose SQL file?
Old 02-03-2007   #46
AnthonyCea

I just check the "all" box and save the database to hard drive, that's it!
Old 01-20-2012   #47
Big Dan

Send a message via AIM to Big Dan Send a message via MSN to Big Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dan
Nearly 6 years later this thread is still my go to guide for backup and restoring databases.
Old 01-21-2012   #48
Greg
Administrator

Cool!
Old 01-24-2012   #49
bigH2O
Acceptably Annoying

I still use a shell script that I wrote years ago that dumps a db file and deletes db backups that are X days old. Completely automated, and if anything goes wrong with last night's db backup I can at worst fall back to a few days ago.

My db backup script is ran as a cron under root at the server level, so there's no need for userid or pass to get it to function properly, although variables could easily be added (or hard coded) for userid and pass if the script can't be run at the root level. It's never failed me in over five years now. The basic command I use for the db backup is basically "mysqldump --opt -Q $dbname > $actfile", of course there are variables there for the database name and file you want to save it to. My script iterates through the entire list of dbs on the server and backs them all up and then transfers them to offsite storage. It goes a bit further in scanning all web sites on the server and copying/replacing any new or changed files to offsite storage as well. It doesn't copy the entire website/board... only the new files within them, so it's extremely fast.

I have customized this script for at least a dozen customers who come to me for total server maintenance, and it's never failed once. I generally don't charge anything for the backup script, but the customers (who are usually resellers) charge big bucks to their clients for the nightly data backups and data integrity that it ensures. I don't charge for it because if something *does* go wrong, I don't want to be left with my dick swinging in the wind, but nothing has ever gone wrong to date.

I don't mind sharing a simple version of this script if anybody's interested in analyzing it and modifying it for their purposes. I don't want to post it on a public forum though, so PM me with an email address and I'll send it to you privately.

Tags
backup, cron, database, forum, mysql, mysqladmin, vbulletin