Computer Help Forum

Go Back   vBulletin and Computer Help Forum > Computer Support > Windows Computer Help

Windows Computer Help Microsoft Windows specific tips and solutions.

View Poll Results: What computer operating systems do you use?
Windows Vista for me. 15 30.00%
Windows XP for me. 35 70.00%
Linux for me. 11 22.00%
Mac for me. 9 18.00%
None of the Above. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2010   #61
jaydeee

though I have windows 7 I still have xp so I've voted for XP.

XP is still my main OS.
Old 02-22-2012   #62
petersampsons

After a big hit at the market of WINDOWS XP the whole world was thinking a great, faster and with more options next Windows OS will come. But Windows provided the operating system that ruined the dreams of people.
petersampsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012   #63
bigH2O
Acceptably Annoying

Well after things have stabilized a bit, I've kind of changed my mind. I still run XP for my business machines because a lot of my specialized production software is based on it, but I'm learning to love Win 7 64 bit. I'm running the Pro version on my personal machine at the house and the Home version on my new notebook, and both seem to be stable and fast to load. I'm running 16MB of ram on the desktop and 8MB of ram on the notebook, both the max that the machines will accept, and the dang things scream.

I don't have a whole lot of things loading at startup on the notebook, but still, 22 seconds is pretty awesome to be on the internet after I punch the power button. My desktop is a little slower. I'm loading a lot more on it than the notebook, but it's still under a minute. My main production machine at the shop takes over five minutes to load XP 32 bit. Click the switch and go make a pot of coffee... and sit... and wait. The specs on the Win 7 box at the house and the XP machine are pretty much the same except for the amount of RAM in them. 4MB in the shop box as that's all XP 32 bit will recognize.

I'm just wishing my software vendors would upgrade their software to be 64 bit compatable and I'd upgrade the office equipment faster than you could blink.

The only thing I had a problem with on Win 7 was the learning curve. They changed pretty much everything in the GUI from XP, but once you get over the hump, it's great.
Old 03-06-2012   #64
Big Dan

Send a message via AIM to Big Dan Send a message via MSN to Big Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dan
Windows 7 runs on 8MB of RAM? Wow!

I've been using W7 Home Premium 64 bit since it came out and love it. It's even made me leave behind Ubuntu. Well that and the silly tablet interface on Ubuntu. I don't use any older apps so I'm good.

My new desktop has 16GB of RAM and it flies. I'm happy.

Windows 8 looks to be another story the metro interface is just plain stupid on a desktop.
Old 03-07-2012   #65
bigH2O
Acceptably Annoying

Lol. I get stupid sometimes when I fly through a post. Of course I meant GB on every level.

I've already heard of nightmares of Win 8. Of course it's still in beta, and people who choose to be testers get what they deserve. Personaly I won't touch a Windows product until at least it's first service pack release.

I still haven't given up my CentOS machine though. It's not tied into the LAN, but it doesn't really need to be. It runs as fast on ten year old hardware as Windows does on the latest and greatest hardware. I really only use it for browsing the web and maintaining my servers at ServerBeach, which are all CentOS boxes. It plays nice with them.
Old 10-10-2012   #66
HowardSmith

I really like Windows XP and i am using it from the last 6 years. I have seen Vista, but it is very slow and it not compatible to all my devices. And i have seen Windows 7. It was pretty good. But i am habituated to XP and continuing with it.
HowardSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
intel, microsoft, operating system, vista, windows, windows xp