Computer Help Forum

Go Back   vBulletin and Computer Help Forum > Site News and Things > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Open topic. Say hello and meet your neighbor.

Old 11-30-2011   #1
Big Dan

Send a message via AIM to Big Dan Send a message via MSN to Big Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dan
Anyone here using Roku?

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone here is using Roku devices? Their main claim to fame is Netflix streaming but they do lots of other streaming. I had a Roku 1, sold it and bought a Roku 2. Both are pretty awesome.

Are guys using them and doing anything cool with 'em?
Old 11-30-2011   #2
Greg
Administrator

So what's the deal, no cable or satellite, everything over the net? Can you get local channels or is it just rentals? What's the monthly fees?
Old 11-30-2011   #3
Big Dan

Send a message via AIM to Big Dan Send a message via MSN to Big Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
So what's the deal, no cable or satellite, everything over the net? Can you get local channels or is it just rentals? What's the monthly fees?
Some 'cord cutters' are using them for that purpose but to me it's really more of a supplement to cable. DSL speeds are laughable here so I still need cable, if only for the internet connection. There are no monthly fees other than your Netflix account.

As mentioned it streams Netflix. Roku also links up to your Amazon account where you can view any movies you've previously bought streaming rights to or rent new movies, some TV shows, etc.

If you're a Hulu plus subscriber you can watch most shows on your Roku box. Hulu plus isn't worth it IMHO so I don't bother.

Included is a Newscaster channel which streams many news programs for free, a couple of networks stream live. This channel makes it worth it for cord cutters if only for news.

Many podcasts (Twit.tv, Revision 3) have Roku channels where you can watch/listen to the podcasts on your Roku.

The highest end model ($99) includes a USB port to plug in an external HDs and watch movies/listen to MP3s. Also, it comes with a Wii-esque motion sensing bluetooth remote which lets you buy and play games on the high end box. So far, I've got Angry Birds and Pac man.

It's a pretty neat little box for $99, it's only a little bigger than a hockey puck! Roku just released a scaled down box for $49.