Computer Help Forum

Go Back   vBulletin and Computer Help Forum > Computer Support > Linux OS and Applications

Linux OS and Applications Computer chat for the other half.

Old 08-08-2008   #11
Dave420

Send a message via MSN to Dave420 Send a message via Yahoo to Dave420
I got the sound and gui working now. the only problem I am having now is getting a dvd to play.I get a can not read error -I tried several different dvd's so I am thinking maybe it is a issue with lite-on dvd burners.I know i have read that some brands do not work well in ubuntu and it seems like lite-on was one of them.

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms [of government] those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." -Thomas Jefferson
Dave420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #12
Zero Tolerance

You have heard are correct.

Ive had the same issue with a LITE-ON CD drive one time. Couldnt even install with it. Changed it out and ran like a champ!

As I was walking up the stairs
I met a man who wasnt there
He wasnt there again today
I wish...I wish he'd go away!

ATV Forums ~ 250R ~ Banshee ~ Utility Class ~ Sport Quads
Free Internet Radio ~ Independent Music & Artists ~ Become an online radio Dj
Zero Tolerance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #13
Dave420

well I got everything working -and followed a online guide to get dvd's working on ubuntu so now a dvd will start to play and as soon as I click the menu item to play the movie it bombs out.I guess this has to be a hardware issue at this point(it is funny because I installed all the codecs in the folder it said to on the mplayer install page but mplayer still won't play a dvd) ...odd.With dvd burners only running about $30-35 I will just try a different brand.

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms [of government] those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." -Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-20-2009   #14
Dave420

it is all good now.I just got a Alienware Area 51 M5550 Laptop on craigslist for $50 (core 2 duo 2ghz - 2 gigs of ram- 7200rpm 100 gig HD - geforce video ect...) it had a bad 7600go video card so I replaced it with a geforce 8600m 512 meg video card(the first laptop I ever changed the video card in-I paid $115 for it).Because it came with windows xp on it I had to upgrade the os to support the directx 10 video card.I tried vista and it worked ok but I hate vista now so I put windows 7 on.Windows 7 is a hell of a lot better then vista but I could not help wondering how the new distro of ubuntu would run.so last night I hooked the system up and let me tell you the new distro (8.10 I think it is) rocks.it was a lot easier to set up and get the new geforce drivers and media player running on. The effects are way better then vista or windows 7 and it uses a hell of a lot less system resources as well.I think I am going to leave it as my moble linux box - to be honest I like it as much as I do my Mac and i only got $165 in it.I feel like it is one of the best deals ever. I thought about selling it because I have a iphone and don't want to tote a 15.4" laptop around -but for the money I got in it I think I should hold on to it just to play with.
Have you guys used any of the new distro's of PCBSD ? I may try it as well to see if it is more like apple osx.

Last edited by Dave420; 01-20-2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-22-2009   #15
Zero Tolerance

I personally am still running 6.06 LTS just because...well just because it works very well and does everything I need.

But you have piqued my interest in the newest Ubuntu. Just to at least see the "eye-candy".

What GUI are you running that looks soo soo sweet?

Old 01-23-2009   #16
Dave420

the default one with the nvidia driver enabled.the eye candy is prety much just rubber windows(they stretch and bounce when you move them-kinda like a cloth or rubber sheet) -but it is way more cool then the basic windows clear transitions for me.

Old 01-24-2009   #17
Zero Tolerance

very cool. Im gonna throw it on my VMWare server as a VM and see this for myself.

Old 10-04-2009   #18
D.TedoX

Send a message via ICQ to D.TedoX
is there a version of mplayer w/gui available

PLF has RPMs for the codecs. They will go where they are supposed to go. You might even consider un-installing the Mandrake mplayer, setting up a source for PLF and using urpmi.

urpmi mplayer
D.TedoX is offline   Reply With Quote