Computer Help Forum

Go Back   vBulletin and Computer Help Forum > Computer Support > Computer Viruses and Spyware

Computer Viruses and Spyware Solutions and help preventing and curing virus and spyware issues.

Old 12-06-2005   #1
kkoterzina

100% CPU usage

Recently (within the last week or so), I have been having trouble with my computer. After 15-30 minutes, my computer becomes UNUSUALLY slow. So slow that once I click on something, it usually takes about 30 minutes to move (no eggageration, really!). I eventually get so tired of it, that I try to close everything and reboot my computer. Unfortunately, it takes HOURS to close each window and then, when I try to reboot, it never completes. I get to the screen that says that it is saving my settings, but it never gets any further. I have even let it sit overnight and when I wake up in the morning, it still says that it is saving my settings. My only solution so far is to press the power button and start the whole process over. I realize that pressing the power is bad, but I really don't have any alternative.

I finally decided to look at the task manager. That's when I noticed that I have 100% CPU usage. It shows 100% CPU usage even immediately upon reboot and just stays at a constant 100%. I have not seen it at anything but 100% since I noticed this problem. I have looked through the items listed and do not see anything unusual. I have even compared the list to my laptop which has many of the same programs running. I do not see any processes listed that look unusual. I would be happy to list the processes here if it will help.

I have XP Pro SP2 with all current updates from Microsoft Update
I have tried to run antivirus/antispyware, etc. but I have let them run 12 + hours and they never complete (I need to turn off computer using power button). It is possible that I have some malware, but unlikely as I just ran adaware, search & destroy, spyware blaster, windows antispyware, windows onecare all within a day of this problem first occuring and none of those programs indicated a problem. I run all of these programs weekly and haven't had a problem. I also defrag, disc check and backup monthly (these were all also done about a day before this problem happened). I really try hard to keep a clean, well-running machine, so I just don't know what happened (or how it happened).

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you!

Windows XP Professional SP2
1.31 GHz
992 MB RAM
(please let me know if any other information would be helpful...I would be happy to provide it to you!)
kkoterzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005   #2
bigH2O
Acceptably Annoying

This topic has been discussed numerous times, but I'm glad to discuss it again. If I don't give enough information, you can do a search on the board for similar topics, or ask more questions.

It sounds like you have picked up a virus. There are several particularly annoying bugs running around right now, and not all scanners detect the latest variants. Some of these bugs cannot be cleaned even by a complete reinstallation of the operating system.

There are two things I would try, and with the extreme slowdown your experiencing, both are probably going to be frustrating to complete.

First download the latest freeware version of AVG virus scanner from http://free.grisoft.com/doc/Get+AVG+FREE/lng/us/tpl/v5 and run it. If it doesn't report back a virus, move onto the second step.

Download a copy of hijackthis from http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html hijack this is a program that generates a report of all browser related issues on your system. The report can be rather cryptic to read if you aren't familiar with system settings and the registry, so if you can't figure out what it means, post a copy & paste of the report here and somebody will help you analyze it.

Last edited by bigH2O; 12-06-2005 at 11:42 AM.
bigH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005   #3
kkoterzina

Smile the problem continues...

Thank you for your patient reply (ie: you were very polite about having to repeat yourself). I have never heard of a virus/malware that cannot be fixed by reformatting and reinstalling the OS...how scary!!!

So far, I have run the following (all updated to current version immediately before running the programs): AdAware, SpyBot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster, Windows OneCare (Beta)...ran virus checker and tune-up, Microsoft AntiSpyware (Beta), AVG virus scanner. So far, I haven't found anything. I just ran Hijack This. The results are attached (any questions about programs, etc., please ask and I will try to tell you what they are). Any insight/help you can give will truly be appreciated. I really hate to think that I need to reformat my hard drive and start completely over.

I also ran defrag, dskchk, disk cleanup, deleted cookies (IE), deleted files (IE), defaulted security settings (IE), defaulted privacy settings (IE), defaulted advanced settings (IE) and rebooted several times between these steps.
Attached Files
File Type: txt hijackthis.txt (11.4 KB, 266 views)
kkoterzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005   #4
bigH2O
Acceptably Annoying

That is an extremely long log for a hijackthis log. Upon first glance I don't see anything that indicates a virus, trojan, spyware, adware or anything else that may be stomping on your toes, but due to the size of the log it's going to take some time to analyze to make sure.

What initially strikes me is the unusually high number of items you have launching when you start the computer up. Many of these proggies such as the Norton Ghost services and Adobe services are things that are probably rarely used. The startup services are really only background watchdogs that try to determine when you might want to use the actual program. They'll notify you of the actual programs availability, and provide a tiny amount of increase in speed in launching the actual program, but don't actually do much other than chew up resources. You may simply be suffering from a lack of resources. If your memory and/or swap file isn't large enough to handle all of these various processes competing for resources, you will suffer a performance hit. Also, I'm not exactly familiar with how all of these proggies interact with each other, so you may have a couple of proggies bumping heads with each other competing for resources that may already be in short supply.

Take a look at the section of the log headed "running processes" and scan through it. Look at anything that begins with "C:\Program Files" and see if there are programs that you don't use on a regular basis. If not, it's probably best to remove the agents from the startup so you can conserve those resources. Don't remove anything unless you are completely sure about it. Post here and ask if you have any questions. DO NOT remove anything beginning with "C:\Windows\System32" as these are files that are required to keep your computer running.

The registry entry section (the area after the blank line below the "running processes" section) is extremely convoluted. It'll take me some time to dig through that to make sure you don't have any trouble in there, but cleaning up the running processes will clean up a lot of that. I'll try to dig into that here in the next day or so. Let me know if you clean out your startup files, and post a new hijackthis log if you do.

Good luck
Old 10-24-2011   #5
ItsFixed

Computer system generally performs slower when it is infected from virus.The virus also are the self replicated programs which repeat themselves without any instruction of user and makes the processing slow.In order to protect the system from virus install updated anti virus in the system after installation of new windows for protecting data further.
ItsFixed is offline   Reply With Quote