PDA

View Full Version : Boxed Art gave me a virus

chick
11-21-2006, 02:03 PM
After joining boxed art for $40 for 3 months...so I could look at and download some templates in hopes of finding something for my new mallee.biz site, I got nailed from one of their downloads with something nasty, that no matter what desktop page icon I hit or URL I typed in... it took me to a Comcast RUSE, or bull**** page which wanted me to download something. The code URL was cnd.com something???

I sent them an email right away demanding my money back. I had only just been approved after paying 2 days prior, and wham.

I ran AVG and nothing showed up, so I turned back my PC to the day before.

And NOTE: they have yet to reply to my complaint and demand.

AnthonyCea
11-21-2006, 02:12 PM
See this post on viruses and spyware and follow the simple instructions, you can download a free 30 day trial of NOD32 (http://www.cpurigs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18644&postcount=5), the best AV for windows in the world, just make sure you follow the instructions to configure it right so you get the scan done properly!

Try it for 30 days free, then you will have the feel for it and want to buy it, I have used it for over 2 years now and have never been infected, it has blocked them all, it automatically updates if you configure it to do so.

chick
11-21-2006, 02:16 PM
Thank you, I'm sure it's gone since I backed up my laptop but I will for sure try it.

AnthonyCea
11-21-2006, 02:35 PM
You will not know until you configure NOD32 right and scan your box, make sure you download the latest profile and set it to autoupdate, just read the help files and you should be able to set it right!

bigH2O
11-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Tony, "the best AV for windows in the world"? That leaves a lot of room for debate bud. NOD32 is a very good virus scanner, but it leaves a lot lacking in real time scanning, as in if you set it up to check every attachment as it comes through it takes *forever*. Let's be a bit more realistic in our accolades why don't we. Everybody has a favorite scanner, and for real time scanning NOD32 is not my favorite. For an overnight scanner to thoroughly sniff out your system, I'd be hard pressed to say it can be beat, but it is a pig when it comes to on demand scanning... no... not a pig... a hog... a three legged hog. Yeah, that's it... a three legged hog.

chick
11-21-2006, 04:23 PM
lol...oink

chick
11-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Ok backing up my pc did not fix it, it came back about 30 minutes ago, so the same Comcast page showing no matter what URL I type in, wanting me to dl cnd/downloadable_wizard.exe

I just backed up 3 days so I could get back here, and download the virus help.

AnthonyCea
11-21-2006, 06:56 PM
H2O, I have it set up to scan everything in real time!

When you say attachments in real time, are you talking email attachments?

How do you set it up to scan email attachments in real time, I have everything enabled already?

I have never been infected with anything while using NOD32, it beats Norton with a stick, I used Norton before NOD32.

What is better ??

Greg
11-21-2006, 07:16 PM
This is the best. PERIOD. :D

http://www.free-av.com/

AnthonyCea
11-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Keep dreaming! :p

Zero Tolerance
11-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Whats an anti-virus?

chick
11-22-2006, 01:15 AM
ok I can't get rid of it. I think its a browser hijacker. I ran 'hijack this' and checked the logs, deleted the red logs and it came back... had to back up by 5 days now,and it did it again. I am not too happy. Any good hijacker fixes out there?

chick
11-22-2006, 01:17 AM
oh they are suppose to answer their support tickets, I sent a 2nd one demanding my money back.. no answer. I will call visa tomorrow and will blast them if i have to buy boxedartsucks.com to do it.

AnthonyCea
11-22-2006, 03:01 AM
ok I can't get rid of it. I think its a browser hijacker. I ran 'hijack this' and checked the logs, deleted the red logs and it came back... had to back up by 5 days now,and it did it again. I am not too happy. Any good hijacker fixes out there?

Yeah, go to this page and download Adaware FREE (http://www.searchwars.squarespace.com/free-software-downloads/) from the link there and run that, it gets most every Browser Hijack there is!

Run a full system scan with Adaware!

Then download SpyBot and run that too, I use both of those all the time in addition to Spyware Blaster which is like an AV and keeps malware from loading in the first place, these programs all work with NOD32 fine and there are no conflicts, you can use all of them!

Zero Tolerance
11-22-2006, 08:16 AM
Spybot Search & Destroy is a good one too. Alot of people use them both together.

chick
11-22-2006, 09:10 AM
I used Spy bot S&D... it came back.... I ran AVG found nothing.... I ran hijack this, found 1 item, got rid of it..... it came back.

Did Adaware... all seems well so far.... we'll see

chick
11-22-2006, 10:15 AM
OK.... its still there hijacking my browser... I ran full scan adaware twice, and found 30 critical objects, quarantined them... and this cnd download thing is still hijacking me.

The only way I can get to any url is to reboot.

NOW WHAT? HELP.

AnthonyCea
11-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Adaware will tell you if it is a browser hijack, you can delete (remove them) the items once found, you don't have to quarantine them, you can delete them from quarantine.

Did you get the 30 day free trial of NOD32 and run scan and clean yet ??

If none of this stuff solves your problem, this malware may have ruined your OS, you will have to back up everything (your files) and do a reformat and restore your OS fresh again.

Before you do that run all the scans you can and see if you can't download IE over again, Microsoft just did an automatic update of IE last night on my system, now I am using IE7, so a new browser download may solve your problem, do that before a reformat of your OS.

bufordt
11-22-2006, 10:55 AM
I used Spy bot S&D... it came back.... I ran AVG found nothing.... I ran hijack this, found 1 item, got rid of it..... it came back.
Did Adaware... all seems well so far.... we'll see

What is the item that comes back?? Post the name of it exactly as it appears in your scan. Make sure that you have the latest updates for SpyBot, and Adaware, and then rescan your system.

On a side note, as far as free virus scanners go, you get what you pay for. No one virus scanner will detect everything. If you suspect a virus or trojan as the culprit, most commercial virus programs will allow you to download some type of scanner from their site for emergency use. There are some very good free virus scanners out there but their updates lag days and sometimes weeks behind the paid ones. Is $25 - $40 dollars per year too much to pay for peace of mind??

chick
11-23-2006, 06:00 PM
In all fairness I have to update this..... it turns out this is some kind of wifi issue and comcast has nothing to do with it, so it's not my cable hookup and apparently not boxedart.

Boxedart finally sent me an email, profusely denying it could IN NO WAY have come from any of their files as they are highly guarded on a secure server.

I am not impressed with their template's anyway and they WILL NOT credit me after only 1 day of being a member so if anyone wants my login info for there, just PM me. I have a 3 month membership with 3 months left.

I have no interest in any of their products.

This only happens to my laptop, when I am on WIFI.